Today.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

In the early hours of this morning I awoke, like usual, to feed Dayton. As I rocked him back to sleep, I scrolled through news feeds on my phone and was shocked to read that someone had opened fire on Florida State's campus shortly after midnight this morning.

As more and more details were being released I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of sadness. 

Sad for those students who were victims of this senseless act of violence.
Sad for those that feared for their lives inside the building. 
Sad for the parents of all FSU students who were terrified their children were involved.
Sad for the law enforcement officers that, even though they are trained to handle situations like this, can never really be prepared to be faced with such a horrific incident because after all, they are only human.
Sad for the parents of the shooter, who are left with lots of questions, most of which likely will never be answered. 
Sad for a community who, like most, thought something like this "could never happen to us".

Mostly, I am sad for my son.

Sad because he has been born into a world where school shootings seem to happen more & more often. Where hate and bitterness is more common than peace and love. A world where prayer is happening less and less. A world that I am absolutely terrified and heartbroken that I will one day have to let him go out into. 

I pray for everyone involved in today's horrific tragedy.
I pray that our sad world will one day be a place where people don't live in fear.
That parents will raise their kids to do good and be good. 
That all children will have a chance to grow up, find their way, get married & have babies of their own.

Needless to say I rocked my sweet boy for almost an hour longer than usual, hugged him a little tighter and prayed harder for him than I have since the day he was born.
I prayed that he will be a believer. That he will pray when times are hard and be thankful when life seems easy. That he will always help and never hurt. That he will always strive to see the good in people and the good in the world. That he will surround himself with people that build him up and use his kindness to do the same for others. That he will be a strong leader and a really good friend. That he will love to learn and will use his wisdom to do great and admirable things. That he will know right from wrong. That he will love life and love people.

And most of all, I pray that he will always know how much he is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger