Godwink

Thursday, June 12, 2014

On Friday we had an appointment with our Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor for a routine anatomy scan (I was 19w4d). We had invited Jason's parents in town for the appointment because we thought it would be fun for them to see Dayton, since they werent here for our gender determination scan. Like a normal Friday morning, I went to work and then  met Jason and his parents at the doctor's office.

We began the ultrasound and after getting a quick "the baby is perfect...heart, kidneys, liver, etc. are all great....fluid is great" the doctor very bluntly told me that my cervix was short and funneling and that they needed to transport me to Labor and Delivery right away. All I remember was crying and begging them to call my mom to come meet us.

Everything moved really quickly and as soon as I was mentally processing what was going on, I was lying in triage hooked up to all sorts of monitors. Needless to say I was scared to death! I was also totally confused because I had been feeling 100% and had no pain. Up until this point my pregnancy has been wonderful with no complications. How could things be so serious and me not even know it? Thankfully my vitals were good, Dayton's heartbeat was strong and I had no contractions which meant I was not in active pre-term labor.

I am to thankful we had family there to help and offer support in those first few hours. I also know, without a doubt that I would not have made it through without Jason. My mom and sister met us at in triage and waited with us to see the on-call doctor. When he finally arrived, he explained that I had  an incompetent cervix and that I needed a cerclage as soon as possible. He also told us they would be admitting us for a day or so following the procedure for observation and to make sure there would be no complications or pre-term labor. He also confirmed what we were expecting, that I would be put on bed rest.

It became pretty apparent that we happened to be in the right place at the right time. The doctor had said if our appointment had been weeks, days or even just hours later, we might not have been so lucky. We caught it just in time to have the cerclage put in, giving us the best chance at returning the cervix to normal length, thus allowing me to carry Dayton for weeks to come. lt was a true Godwink and I am incredibly thankful that someone was looking out for us.

 photo imagejpg1_zps3007b994.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything is ok. I cannot imagine the fear you must have felt during that time. I hope you are able to relax and enjoy these next few weeks of your pregnancy. . . and stay pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be so still my heart. I know you have several angels shining down on you now, but I feel strongly that your precious Namaw is right there by your side sweet mama.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger